The Department of Health has issued advice for travellers coming to Northern Ireland from next week.
New rules will apply to both people who live here and visitors to Northern Ireland as an additional measure in tackling the spread of Covid-19.
The rules include a requirement to provide passenger information and location details and a 14 day quarantine period.
From Monday 8 June –
Travellers coming back into Northern Ireland from abroad will need to self-isolate for 14 days.
Visitors to Northern Ireland will not be allowed to leave the place they are staying for the first 14 days except in very limited situations.
You do not need to self-isolate if you’re travelling to NI from within the Common Travel Area (CTA).
Some travellers will be exempt from the new rules however exemptions do not apply if you are travelling for personal reasons or if you have symptoms of coronavirus.
Anyone who has a new persistent cough, a fever or loss of smell or taste must self-isolate and follow the public health guidance.
If you refuse to provide passenger information you may be fined £60. If you leave self-isolation within the 14 day period you may be fined £1,000.
Further details are available on NIDirect
Notes to editors:
- The CTA includes –
- Northern Ireland
- England, Scotland and Wales
- Republic of Ireland
- Channel Islands
- Isle of Man
- You will be able to complete the contact details declaration 48 hours before you arrive https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk
- A list of exemptions is available at https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021