Health Minister Robin Swann and Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey have welcomed the announcement of Emerge, a special music event at Ormeau Park on September 17.
The event, from the team behind Belsonic and Shine, will feature an all-star line-up of internationally renowned DJs.
It will help promote awareness around the importance of COVID-19 vaccination.
This month will see a concerted drive to encourage vaccination of young people – including students in higher and further education. More than 70% of 18-29-year-olds in NI have now had at least one vaccine jab.
The Emerge event is also an acknowledgement of the impact of the pandemic on younger people and the sacrifices they have made.
The Department of Health and Department for Communities have supported the event through the provision of £75k.
Admission to Emerge will depend on your vaccination status – you will need to have been fully vaccinated with both vaccine jabs – or have had one jab plus a negative lateral flow test.
Tickets to the event are free - with a £2 booking fee, £1 of which will go to Vaccinaid, the UNICEF charity which improves access to vaccinations in the developing world.
Health Minister Robin Swann said: “I very much welcome this initiative by a leading concert promoter to stage this special event.
“Intensive efforts are continuing to encourage more of our younger people to get vaccinated. I have no hesitation in supporting the raising of awareness through a high profile event of this nature.”
Walk-in vaccination clinics are continuing at different locations across NI.
Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey said: “We have asked an awful lot of our younger people over the last 18 months. A live gig is a fantastic way to acknowledge their immense contribution.
“I also welcome the co-operation between my Department and the Department of Health to help make this happen.
“We all want to get normality back – including a full return of live music and other arts events. Vaccination is vital to that.”
Notes to editors:
Notes to Editors
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email:email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021