Health Minister Robin Swann has told MLAs of his determination to “press ahead with the reconstruction and transformation of our health service to the best of my ability”.
In a written statement to the Assembly, the Minister also underlined his “deep concerns about escalating budgetary pressures and uncertainties”.
The statement highlighted a series of initiatives announced in recent weeks, including the reshaping of general surgery services and a design plan for the future shape of NI’s hospital network. Initiatives have also covered waiting lists, stroke care, orthopaedics and workforce.
The Minister stated: “I believe a clear direction of travel has now been established for the vital task of rebuilding and transforming services.
“My sincere hope is that devolved Government will be an enabler and champion of change, rather than an impediment.”
Mr Swann also stated: “We are now into the second quarter of 2022/23 without a budget in place.”
His statement continued: “I have to prepare for the eventuality that funding pressures in health will become increasingly significant as this financial year progresses.”
The full Written Ministerial Statement can be read on the Department website.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Health Minister welcomes infected blood interim payments 17 August 2022
- Dental earnings and expenses estimates, 2020/21 17 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey – Antibody Data for Northern Ireland 10 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 05 August 2022