Health Minister Robin Swann has welcomed the launch today of pre-consultation for suicide prevention and post-vention services.
The pre-consultation is being undertaken by the Public Health Agency (PHA). It will include opportunities for people to provide feedback by registering their interest to take part either by completing the online survey or in a number of online facilitated events targeting each of the Health and Social Care Trust areas in Northern Ireland.
The pre-consultation findings will inform a fuller public consultation on proposed future services.
The Minister said: “I am delighted to note that the pre-consultation process is commencing to pave the way for developing and commissioning future suicide prevention services. This is an integral part of the Protect Life 2 Strategy and a major focus for my department.
“I would encourage everyone delivering suicide prevention services to contribute to the pre-consultation to have their say and help to design future service provision.
“I am very conscious of the demands the pandemic has put on mental and emotional wellbeing. This is therefore an opportune time to consider the delivery of future services and ensure that services are tailored to meet future demand.
“The process will allow us to review how services have been delivered to date, implement improvements where needed and will provide new opportunities for organisations to deliver suicide prevention services.”
In September 2019, the Department of Health published a new suicide prevention strategy for Northern Ireland known as Protect Life 2. The strategy includes a specific action to support, encourage and procure community based suicide prevention services.
In order for the PHA to develop these future services, it is important to review current services and most importantly listen to the views of service users, local communities and other organisations delivering services, through this pre-consultation process.
The pre-consultation starts on Monday 15 February and runs for eight weeks, ending on Sunday 11 April.
Notes to editors:
- PHA’s press release is available on their website at: https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/news/pha-launches-pre-consultation-suicide-prevention-and-post-vention-services.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Vaccine programme extended to 60-64 year olds 01 March 2021
- Infected Blood: bereaved have not been forgotten - Swann 01 March 2021
- Updated visiting arrangements confirmed 26 February 2021
- Enjoy the weekend – but stay Covid free 26 February 2021