Health Minister Robin Swann today visited the new Nightingale intermediate Covid care facility at Whiteabbey Hospital.
This first phase will provide an additional 23 beds with further expansion to follow. It will be run by the Northern Health and Social Care Trust and will be available to patients from across Northern Ireland.
Care will be led by a highly skilled and experienced Advanced Nursing and Allied Health Practitioner team. Medical care will be provided by doctors from primary care.
Health Minister Robin Swann said: “I am very pleased to be able to visit the new facility today and very impressed that it has been so rapidly established.
“This is yet another example of our health service adapting at speed to the challenges created by this pandemic.
“This new model of nursing and enhanced therapy care is about providing the right care in the right place at the right time by the multi-disciplinary team – one of the cornerstones of the transformation agenda for health and social care.
“The new Whiteabbey Nightingale should also ease pressure on acute hospitals by facilitating discharges of people who are no longer acutely unwell, but need further support before hospital discharge.”
The Health Minister was accompanied on the visit by Chief Nursing Officer Professor Charlotte McArdle.
He was welcomed to the facility by Bob McCann, Northern Health Trust Chairman and Jennifer Welsh, Northern Health Trust Chief Executive.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 20 - 26 February 2021 05 March 2021
- Health Minister announces extension of consultation on adult safeguarding 05 March 2021
- Advance Care Planning Policy for Adults in Northern Ireland 05 March 2021
- Encouraging response to organ donation consultation 05 March 2021