Health Minister Robin Swann has strongly condemned online abuse targeted at the chief executive of the Royal College of Midwives, Gill Walton.
The social media abuse came after the RCM chief executive had encouraged pregnant women to come forward for vaccination against Covid-19.
Mr Swann stated: “This vile abuse is frankly appalling and is sadly becoming all too commonplace.
“I want to take this opportunity to express my solidarity with Gill Walton and to thank her for encouraging vaccination. It is very important that pregnant women get the jab.
“There should be no place in public debate for abusive behaviour or bogus conspiracy theories. We have to be better than this. I stand with Gill.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021