Passengers who are fully vaccinated arriving into Northern Ireland from non-red list countries will be able to take a post-arrival lateral flow test.
From 4am on 31 October, eligible fully vaccinated passengers arriving into Northern Ireland from countries not on the red list will have the choice of taking either a lateral flow or PCR test on or before day 2 of their arrival.
Any individuals with a positive lateral flow test will be required to book a free confirmatory PCR test and isolate for 10 days. If the subsequent mandatory confirmatory PCR is negative, then the isolation period can end.
Those that have already bought a PCR test do not need to buy another test. Lateral flow tests for international travel must be purchased from a private provider as NHS Test and Trace tests cannot be used for international travel.
All travellers must complete their passenger locator form prior to travel, including providing a test booking reference number supplied by a testing provider.
Individuals who are not deemed as fully vaccinated must still complete a passenger locator form, take a pre-departure test, have booked a PCR day 2 and day 8 test package and complete 10 days self-isolation on return from a non-red country.
Anyone arriving from a red list country must adhere to all testing and quarantine requirements, regardless of vaccination status. Rules for red list countries are available on NI Direct.
Notes to editors:
- To qualify as ‘fully vaccinated’ individuals must have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days under an approved vaccination programme. Full details are on NI Direct: Coronavirus (COVID-19): travelling to Northern Ireland from a non-red list country | nidirect
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey – Antibody Data for Northern Ireland 10 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 05 August 2022
- Release of Northern Ireland inpatient, day case and outpatient hospital statistics for 2021/22 04 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 29 July 2022