Getting your official COVID status certificate can benefit you at home and abroad.
Covid certification has been introduced for licensed premises and other designated settings across Northern Ireland.
The issue of vaccine certification for foreign travel is also back in the headlines, after the announcement that proof of vaccination is now a condition of entry to Spain for UK residents.
Everyone in NI is encouraged to apply without delay for their Covid certificate, which provides official proof that you have had two doses of an approved vaccine.
There are three stages to the application process for digital certification:
1) Provide confirmation of your identity by setting up your personal NI Direct account.
2) Apply for the foreign travel Covid certification app for your phone or other mobile device. You don’t need to be travelling abroad anytime soon to apply for this. The app will also automatically renew itself.
3) After you get your foreign travel certificate in the document wallet of the app, click on the button to activate a domestic use certification. This will include taking a selfie pic that will provide photo ID when entering premises (so you won’t ned to bring additional ID).
For more information, see this video guide to the application process or check out the NI Direct website.
If you cannot apply online, you can request a paper version of vaccine certification using the telephone service 0300 200 7814, available Monday to Sunday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.
This process will take longer than the digital process and you will be required to verify your identity in person by presenting documents at an appointed time and location.
Once identity checks have been completed it may take up to 10 working days for the printed certificate to arrive.
Notes to editors:
1. Regulations introduced Covid certification in NI were introduced on November 29. Premises covered by the regulations are required to comply but there will be a grace period without any enforcement to 13 Dec 2021.
Covid certification requires proof of either full vaccination status; or a negative Lateral Flow test result in the previous 48 hours; or proof of recovery from a positive PCR test in the previous 30-180 days.
Covid certification is required at the following settings:
- indoor events (where some or all of the audience are not normally seated) with 500 or more attendees;
- outdoor events (where some or all of the audience are not normally seated) with 4,000 or more attendees;
- events where more than 10,000 people will be present, regardless of whether or not they will be seated;
- Licensed Hospitality premises and unlicensed premises for the duration of the time when they are operating under an occasional licence or when BYO alcohol is consumed
- Cinemas, theatres and conference halls.
2. For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Health Survey (NI): First Results 2022/23 29 November 2023
- New obesity consultations launched 24 November 2023
- Speaking notes for Healthcare Financial Management Association 24 November 2023
- Report aimed at growing ANP workforce published 21 November 2023