The Department of Health today published figures for Investment in General Practice, Northern Ireland 2016-17 to 2020-21.
This is the second time that investment in general practice, including the reimbursement for drugs dispensed in general practices in Northern Ireland, has been published by the Department of Health. Previously, country level information from all 4 UK countries was published by NHS Digital. However, changes to general practice contractual arrangements in each country over recent years mean the data are no longer comparable. As a result, the UK series has been discontinued.
In 2020-21, the total investment in general practice in Northern Ireland, including the reimbursement of drugs dispensed in general practice, was £367.416m. This represents an increase in the total investment in GP practices of 12.53 per cent in Northern Ireland. In real terms, this equates to an increase of 5.85 per cent. This increase includes: the response to the DDRB recommendation, which saw a 2.8% uplift applied to GP pay and practice staff expenses, with other expenses uplifted in line with inflation (representing an investment of £5.928m) and an additional £500k investment into Global Sum Equivalent in recognition of additional pressures within general practice.
Notes to editors:
- The report is published by the Department of Health (NI) via the Statistics Section of the website.
- The source of the data is the Financial Information Monitoring System (FIMS) held and maintained by the Health and Social Care Board (HSCB) and the Pharmacy Payments System maintained by the Business Services Organisation (BSO).
- For statistical or data queries, please contact Information & Analysis Directorate on 02890 522700 or at email@example.com
- For policy queries, please contact Primary Care Medical Services Branch, Primary Care Directorate on 02890 520241 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Health Minister announces vital package of support for general practice 15 October 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 3 October to 9 October 2021 15 October 2021
- Publication of Healthy Child, Healthy Future - Health Review Statistics for Northern Ireland 2020/21 14 October 2021
- Health Minister Congratulates Nursing and Midwifery ‘Leaders of the Future’ 14 October 2021