The Department of Health has confirmed that Health Trust staff will continue to receive an enhanced mileage rate.
In June 2022, former Health Minister Robin Swann announced an increase to the rate for work-related car travel for Agenda for Change (AfC) staff, including Trust employed domiciliary care workers and district nurses.
The rates previously were 56ppm for the first 3,500 miles, and 20ppm for each mile thereafter. Following the Minister’s decision, the rate for mileage incurred above 3,500 miles increased from 20ppm to 30pmm for an initial six-month period.
In December, mindful of the cost of living pressures on health and social care staff, the Department extended the temporary increase to the secondary mileage rate to the end of March 2023. The Department has now confirmed that this enhanced mileage rate will remain in place for a further six months until 30 September 2023, with a commitment to take a prompt decision on a further six month extension in the event of a continued absence of Ministers.
The Department will also continue to work with Trade Unions to identify options for a Northern Ireland specific approach to mileage for consideration by an incoming Minister.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Children’s Court Guardian Agency for Northern Ireland 22 March 2023
- NHS 75 - Chief Professional Officers' blog 21 March 2023
- NHS 75 - Chief Social Worker blog 21 March 2023
- Extension to the Term of Appointment of a Non-Executive Member to the Northern Ireland Social Care Council 20 March 2023