Hamilton welcomes Expert Panel’s principles to underpin remodelling of Health and Social Care.
Health Minister Simon Hamilton said: “Earlier this year, I appointed an expert panel, led by Professor Rafael Bengoa, to consider, and lead debate on, the best model for Health and Social Care services in Northern Ireland. The Panel held a health summit on 17 February, which I attended, and I was pleased to see the level of commitment shown by the members of the Panel, and also the level of engagement from politicians.
"The principles are only the beginning of the Panel’s work but I am glad to see that they have made a strong start. I know that they will continue to carry out their work with the utmost integrity and as transparently as possible.
"As I have said before, this issue is bigger and more important than politics. Our current health and social care model was designed in and for a different era. We need to safeguard our NHS for future generations, and the only way to safeguard it, is to transform it.
“This is not a simple assignment and I wish the Panel the very best in their work to design a model that will meet the challenges we face now and in the future. Since becoming Health Minister last May, I have spoken often about my desire to deliver a world class health service for the people of Northern Ireland. My vision is of a health and social care system that is financially sustainable and which puts quality, safety and the patient at its centre. While our health service faces many challenges, I believe it is possible to realise that vision. The work of the panel will play a hugely important role in transforming our NHS for the better.”
Notes to editors:
1. Copies of the Panel’s principles and the Terms of Reference for their work are available on the Department’s website
2. Media queries about this press release to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0567, or out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- People of all ages should learn CPR so more lives can be saved 16 October 2019
- Regional Launch of Primary Care Multi-Disciplinary Team Programme 15 October 2019
- Extensions to Appointments of Non-Executive Chair and Two Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Guardian Ad Litem Agency 15 October 2019
- Action Plan for child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) 10 October 2019