Health Minister Robin Swann has announced an additional £500k in funding to support low income families caring for seriously ill or severely disabled children.
Minister Swann said: “I am absolutely delighted that we have been able to make this additional funding available to assist families in Northern Ireland raising disabled and seriously ill children.”
The additional money will be allocated through the Family Fund charity who already offer a wide range of goods and services which are focused on directly supporting the needs of a child with a disability or who is seriously ill. They also work closely with the families of those children affected by a disability or serious illness.
The Minister continued: “I understand fully the many challenges those families have faced, particularly during the ongoing pandemic. I anticipate this funding will provide approximately 1000 local families with additional support to help alleviate some of the financial burden which they would otherwise face.”
Cheryl Ward, Chief Executive of Family Fund said: “This funding is brilliant news for hundreds of families in Northern Ireland, raising a disabled or seriously ill child on low incomes. These families have been hugely impacted by the pandemic and intense financial pressures such as the rapidly rising costs of fuel and food.
“We thank Minister Swann for this additional financial support, which will provide urgently needed grants for families- from clothing and white goods to play equipment tailored to individual children’s needs, technology or assistance with family breaks.”
To apply for an urgent Family Fund grant: https://www.familyfund.org.uk/grants-northern-ireland
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 27 January 2023
- Extensions to the terms of five interim authority members of the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 27 January 2023
- Emergency Care Waiting Time Statistics (October - December 2022) 26 January 2023
- Publication of “Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2022)” 24 January 2023