Health Minister Simon Hamilton has announced a £41million investment in the new Acute Services Block at the Ulster Hospital.
The Minister made the announcement during a site visit at the Ulster Hospital where he saw progress on the first phase of the new ward. Speaking at the visit, the Minister said: “I am delighted to announce that I will make over £41million capital funding available in 2016/17 to take forward the second phase of the construction of the Acute Services Block (ASB) at the Ulster Hospital. This brings my Department’s total capital spend on this Phase B Redevelopment to £260million.
“The ASB will provide a new emergency department, inpatient radiology, assessment unit, and specialist wards. This will provide 170 beds including acute, observation and assessment beds, and support services. I expect that work on the new block will commence this year and it will be open to patients in 2020.”
This latest redevelopment project at the Ulster Hospital is progressing on a phased basis, with the new inpatient ward block due to complete first. It is scheduled to open to patients early next year. The ASB is to be constructed in the second phase and is currently scheduled to open to patients in early 2020.
The Minister continued: “This significant capital investment marks another significant milestone for the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust in modernising the facilities at this key acute hospital site. We hear daily how pressures on key facilities like this continue to rise. It is vital that we provide safe, effective services in suitable accommodation.”
Acknowledging the efforts of all those involved working on this project, the Minister added: “I would like to wish everyone well with the final stage of this project. It is clear that everyone involved with this scheme has worked extremely hard. I look forward to the day when both elements are completed and operational.”
Notes to editors:
- The inpatient ward block will provide capacity for 288 single bedrooms with en-suites, new day surgery department including four state of the art operating theatres, endoscopy suite, pharmacy, support services and cafe.
- Media enquiries about this press release to DHSSPS Press Office on 9052 0575, or out of hours contact to Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- ‘Look after yourself by keeping fit and healthy’ 05 June 2020
- Emergency Care Waiting Time Statistics (January – March 2020) 04 June 2020
- Rebuilding Health and Social Care will be a massive undertaking 04 June 2020
- Covid-19 Reproduction Number – R 04 June 2020