Northern Ireland’s vaccination programme has chalked up another landmark.
It has been confirmed today that the number of people to have received both doses of their vaccine has passed the half million mark.
Another major landmark is also imminent, with close to one million first doses of vaccines being administered in Northern Ireland.
Latest vaccine figures are updated daily on the Vaccine Dashboard.
This week has also seen the launch of a public information campaign to help ensure vaccine take-up remains strong.
Health Minister Robin Swann said: “It is hugely encouraging to see so many people already benefitting from the longer and stronger protection provided by second doses.
“It is vital that people keep coming forward for their first and second doses when their turn comes.”
The Minister added: “We all owe a great debt of gratitude to everyone involved in the vaccination programme.
“The availability of the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines has played a huge role in our battle against COVID-19.
“While we must never be complacent about the virus, we can also celebrate the progress we are making.”
Getting the second vaccine dose is very important because it maximises the level of protection against COVID-19.
* Anyone of any age who has received an AstraZeneca first dose should proceed with their second dose of AstraZeneca. That’s unless they have had clinical advice not to do so.
The JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) has made clear there have been no safety concerns identified for associated blood clots and low platelet count with the second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Watch the new TV advert developed as part of the Northern Ireland vaccination public information campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMxhrx40oA
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Minister unveils £700m plan for tackling waiting lists 15 June 2021
- Extension to the term of the Interim Chair of The Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 15 June 2021
- Regular testing for all asymptomatic care home visitors introduced 15 June 2021
- Long Covid services being established 14 June 2021