The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has recommended that Covid-19 vaccine first doses be provided to all 16 and 17 year olds.
This recommendation will be implemented in Northern Ireland.
From this Friday, NI’s regional vaccination centres will be providing walk-in Pfizer first jabs for 16 and 17 year olds.
For those in this age group who prefer to book, an online booking platform will be available in the coming days.
The pop-up walk-in vaccination clinics being held across NI will also provide Pfizer first doses to 16 and 17 year olds from Friday.
ID and proof of date of birth will be required when attending a regional vaccination centre or walk-in vaccination clinic for the jabs.
Health Minister Robin Swann stated: “I welcome the latest advice from JCVI and have asked my officials to ensure it is fully implemented in Northern Ireland as quickly as possible.
“When formulating advice in relation to childhood immunisations, JCVI has consistently held that the main focus of its decision should be the benefit to children and young people themselves, weighed against any potential harms from vaccination to children and young people.
“JCVI are an independent, expert Committee who have thoroughly assessed a wide range of evidence. It is important that we continue to follow their advice.”
The regional vaccination centres are:
SSE Arena, 2 Queens Quay, Belfast BT3 9QQ
Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast BT12 6BA
Seven Towers Leisure Centre, Trostan Avenue, Ballymena BT43 7BL
South Lake Leisure Centre, 1 Lake Road, Craigavon BT64 1AS
The Foyle Arena, 2 Limavady Road, Londonderry BT47 6JY
Omagh Leisure Centre, Old Mountfield Road, Omagh BT79 7EG
Lakeland Forum, Broadmeadow, Enniskillen BT74 7EF
Details of the latest walk-in clinics are listed here:
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt(external link opens in a new window / tab)(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021