Health Minster Robin Swann, has announced extensions to the terms of two Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA).
Mr Derek Maguire’s appointment as Non-Executive (Dental) Member has been extended from 18 March 2021 to a date not later than 17 June 2021. Mr Lee Wilson’s appointment as Non-Executive (Lay) Member has been extended from 13 February 2021 to a date not later than 12 June 2021.
The Non-Executive Member position attracts an annual remuneration of £3,101 with a time commitment of 20 days per annum.
These appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
NIMDTA is an Arm’s Length Body sponsored by the Department of Health to train postgraduate medical and dental professionals for Northern Ireland. The NIMDTA Board comprises a Non-Executive Chair and 5 Non-Executive Members. NIMDTA commissions, promotes and oversees postgraduate medical and dental education and training throughout Northern Ireland. It organises and delivers the recruitment, selection and allocation of doctors and dentists to foundation, core and specialty training programmes with the aims of providing trainees with a wide range of excellent opportunities to gain experience and maximising their potential to successfully progress, complete training and be appointed to permanent posts in Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Derek Maguire OBE is a dentist working within general dental practice who owns and manages a group of 11 dental practices in Northern Ireland. He has demonstrated an excellent understanding of the non-executive role and the functions of NIMDTA across both medicine and dentistry. He is a part-time Dental Adviser with the Health and Social Care Board (HSCB) which has given him wider experience. He holds Fellowship with the Faculty of Dental Trainers RCS (Edinburgh), Fellowship with the Faculty of Dental Surgery RCPS (Glasgow), and Fellowship with the Faculty of General Dental Practice RCS (England) and is a Fellow of the International College of Dentists (FICD). In October 2020, he was awarded an OBE in HM Queen’s Birthday Honours for Services to Dentistry and Response to Covid-19. Mr Maguire holds no other Ministerial public appointments.
- Mr Lee Wilson brings over 20 years’ experience as a Finance Manager in a local Health Trust to the role. He holds an MA in Administration and Law and a Post Graduate Diploma in Social and Community Development. He was previously a Board member of the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland. Mr Lee currently holds two other Ministerial public appointments. From 2014, as a Non-Executive (Lay) Member of the Northern Ireland Social Care Council. This position attracts a remuneration of £6,625 per annum and carries a time commitment of 2 days per month. He is also a Non-Executive (Finance) Member of the Northern Ireland Guardian ad Litem Agency, appointed in 2019. This position attracts a remuneration of £3,101 (under review) per annum and carries a time commitment of 30 days per annum.
- Appointments to NIMDTA are made with the approval of the Health Minister.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Both the appointees have declared that they have not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 4 - 10 April 2021 16 April 2021
- Close contacts of confirmed COVID-19 cases to be tested 15 April 2021
- Health minister on easing of restrictions 15 April 2021
- Health Inequalities Annual Report 2021 14 April 2021