Health Minister Robin Swann has announced an extension to the term of the Chair of the Public Health Agency (PHA).
Mr Andrew Dougal’s term will be extended from 1 June 2021 to a date not later than 30 November 2021.
The Chair position attracts an annual remuneration of £36,177 with a time commitment of 3 days per week.
This appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
The PHA is a multi-disciplinary, multi-professional body, with a strong regional and local presence. The Agency was established to provide a renewed and enhanced focus on public health and wellbeing by bringing together a wide range of public health functions under one organisation. It is required to create better inter-sectoral working, including enhanced partnership with local government, to tackle the underlying causes of poor health and reduce health inequalities.
The PHA Board comprises four Executive Directors including the Chief Executive, a Non-Executive Chair and seven Non-Executive Directors.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Andrew Dougal took up the position as Chair of the PHA on 1st June 2015. He has been involved in public health for 38 years. From 1983 he was chief executive of the NI Chest Heart & Stroke and played a key role in securing a program for the reduction of deaths from coronary heart disease in Northern Ireland. He also promoted the establishment of stroke units as well as thrombolysis to combat stroke. He is a former non-executive director of Belfast community radio and of O’Kane’s funeral directors (Belfast). He is a former treasurer and trustee of the World Heart Federation. Mr Dougal was awarded the OBE in 1996. He worked in education for 10 years including eight years as Bursar at St Louise’s comprehensive college. He is currently a non-executive director of the Ulster Orchestra Foundation Board.
- Appointments to the PHA are made with the approval of the Health Minister.
- All public appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Dougal has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- Mr Dougal has advised that he does not currently hold any other public appointments.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021