Health Minister, Michelle O’Neill today announced the extension of the term of appointment of the Non-Executive Chair of the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust.
The extension, for a further twelve months from 16 October 2016 – 15 October 2017, relates to Mr Colm McKenna and carries a time commitment of three days per week and attracts an annual remuneration of £29,716.
The South Eastern HSC Trust is one of five HSC Trusts established in 2007 responsible for the delivery of responsive and effective health and care services and for the ownership and management of hospitals and other establishments and facilities.
Each HSC Trust in the north of Ireland is managed directly by a Board of Directors which has corporate responsibility for its operation. The Board is made up of five executive directors and seven non-executive directors and a non-executive chair. Executive directors and non-executive directors are full and equal members of the Board.
The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments (NI). A selection panel, which included an Independent Assessor as require under the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates. The final decision on the appointment rests with the Minister.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Colm McKenna lives in Glenavy, Co. Antrim with his wife Giuseppa. They have two grown up children and six grandchildren. He retired from a long career in Financial Services industry in October 2008. Colm has been Chairman of the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust since October 2008 and also chairs the NI Confederation of Health and Social Care. He was appointed Chairman of the Agri Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) in April 2014 and has just (1 September 2016) been appointed to the board of the Food Standards Authority and as Chairman of the Food Advisory Committee (NI). He currently serves as the Chairman of the Public Sector Chairs’ Forum (NI). Colm is passionate about improving public services and since leaving the Banking industry he has dedicated his energies to Board level leadership roles in the Public Sector. In a voluntary capacity, Colm is Chairman of the BBC NI Appeals Advisory Committee and Chairman of Club Aontroma, a registered charity responsible for fundraising in support of the GAA in Antrim.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. Mr McKenna has declared he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- Media enquiries to DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 2397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- Further engagement event on public consultations 24 June 2019
- Extension of Non-Executive Board Member’s Role on the Northern Ireland Social Care Council 24 June 2019
- Extension to Appointment of the Non-Executive Chair to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service 24 June 2019
- Social workers have a duty to represent and support NI’s marginalised in society 21 June 2019