Ms Carmel McKinney’s appointment to the Board has been extended from 1 July 2019 to a date not later than 30 June 2020.
The appointment as Non-Executive Chair to the NIFRS carries a time commitment of 2.5 to 3 days per week and attracts an annual remuneration of £26,482 per annum.
The NIFRS provides a range of fire and rescue services to the Northern Ireland population of 1.71 million covering an area of over 5,500 square miles. It has 68 fire stations throughout Northern Ireland and is divided into four Area Commands which are supported by 14 Districts, strategically placed in order to create a community focus for NIFRS activities. NIFRS has a workforce of around 2,200 staff.
This appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
- Ms Carmel McKinney has extensive expertise and experience as a strategic and operational leader. She has a well demonstrated history of leading and managing organisations through large scale Change Management programmes including strategic planning, organisational development and business development. She is a local and national award winner for her highly accomplished leadership and management including her work on diversity and inclusion, having been recognised in the Guardian Public Services Awards for Leadership Excellence in 2017, the Institute of Directors Non-Executive Director of the Year 2018 and The Times Diversity Champion 2019. Ms McKinney holds an OBE for her services to Education.
- Ms McKinney is also a Trustee of Stepping Stones a charitable organisation providing a range of services and social enterprises that supports people with learning disabilities.
- This extension is made with the approval of the Permanent Secretary of the Department of Health. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Ms McKinney has declared that she has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office team on 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out-of-office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Quarterly Carers Statistics for Northern Ireland (April – June 2023) 22 September 2023
- Extension to the terms of appointment of two Non-executive Directors to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service 22 September 2023
- Unused medicines cost Northern Ireland health system £18m per year 20 September 2023
- Department of Health statement 18 September 2023