The Department of Health today announces the extension of Appointment of the Non-Executive Chair of the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS)
The Non-Executive appointment of Paul Archer, as Chair of the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS), has been extended from 1 April 2018 to 30 June 2018.
This appointment carries a time commitment of 2.5 - 3 days per month and attracts an annual remuneration of £22,997.
The appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for NI.
The Board of NIAS is made up of five Executive and five Non-Executive Directors plus a Non-Executive Chair.
The role of the NIAS Board is to:
- set the strategic direction of NIAS within the overall policies and priorities of the Health and Personal Social Services , define its annual and longer term objectives, and agree plans to achieve them
- oversee the delivery of planned results by monitoring performance against objectives and ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary
- ensure effective financial stewardship through value for money , budgetary control, planning and strategy
- ensure high standards of corporate governance and personal behaviour are maintained in the conduct of the business of the whole organisation
- appoint, appraise and remunerate Senior Executives
- ensure that there is effective dialogue and communications between NIAS and the local community on its plans and performance, and that these are responsive to the community’s needs
Notes to editors:
1. Paul Archer – Non-Executive Chair was appointed Chair of Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust in October 2008. He is also Chair of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee of the NI Commissioner for Children and Young People and he currently Chairs Fitness to Practice Committee panels for the NI Social Care Council. In previous years Paul has Chaired Fitness to Practice panels for the Health and Care Professions Council, the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the British Psychological Society. Mr. Archer was Chair of North Down Health and Social Care Group and an Associate Director of the then Eastern Health and Social Services Board between 2002 and 2006. He is the immediate Past Chair of the NI Public Sector Chairpersons Forum and is a graduate of Ulster University.
2. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr. Archer declared that he has not engaged in any political activity.
3. For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdept
- Quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 31 December 2023 29 February 2024
- Work of Regional Trauma Network marked by Ministers 29 February 2024
- Proven success of General Practice Pharmacy paves the way for ambitious future plans 28 February 2024
- Appointment of Health and Social Care Trust Non-Executive Directors 27 February 2024