Health Minister Simon Hamilton has announced 15 extra training places for doctors who have recently graduated.
The expansion of the Foundation Programme at the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency in 2016/17 will bring the total number of places available in Northern Ireland up to 267. The Foundation Programme is a two-year training programme for doctors who have recently graduated from medical school. It gives doctors in training experience in a range of different areas of medicine.
Minister Hamilton said: “In addition to the increase in General Practice placements announced last week, I am delighted to announce a further investment in the future of our health service by increasing the available places in our Foundation Programme by 15.
“Our Health and Social Care system is unique in the UK and I truly believe that we offer an excellent grounding for any medical staff at the start of their career. Each year our Foundation Programme is a popular choice with those graduating from university, by increasing the places available, we can bring more talented individuals into the HSC and showcase our health service as an employer of choice.”
While doctors on the Foundation Programme are responsible for caring for patients, they do so under the supervision of more experienced doctors and other healthcare professionals.
After finishing the Foundation Programme, doctors choose an area of medicine in which to focus. This may be a specialty or it may be in General Practice.
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA) is an Arm’s Length Body sponsored by the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) to train medical and dental professionals for Northern Ireland.
- Media queries to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0575, or out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5540 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- DOH Statement – RCN ballot announcement 20 September 2019
- NI’s first Aspiring Nurse Directors graduate at Stormont 20 September 2019
- Transformation in Action: Advanced Nursing Practitioners in Northern Ireland 17 September 2019
- Publication of the statistical bulletin ‘Children in Care in Northern Ireland 2017/18’ 12 September 2019