Chief Medical Officer Dr Michael McBride has urged everyone in Northern Ireland to enjoy the May Day holiday weekend safely.
With further COVID-19 restrictions being eased from today, Dr McBride emphasised that the public health advice remains as vital as ever.
“With summer coming and the vaccination programme continuing its roll out, there is a much-needed mood of optimism in the community.
“However, we must never underestimate the COVID-19 threat. A huge collective effort across society has got us this far. It would be a tragedy if we let our guard down now and jeopardised the progress that has been made.
“We all know what needs to be done. Whether you are socialising or shopping, stick to the rules that have protected so many people. Maintain social distancing, wear a face covering when required and wash hands frequently and well. Never forget that the virus spreads best in crowded, confined and indoor settings where ventilation is poor. That’s why the main focus at present is on outdoor activities.
“The progress we have made is also thanks in no small part to our vaccination programme. Please do your bit to make it a continued success. When your turn comes, get your vaccine and your second dose. By doing so, you not only protect yourself and others, you also play your part in maintaining our steady progress to better times.”
Notes to editors:
- Book your vaccine on online.
- Where online booking is not possible, the telephone booking number is 0300 200 7813.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110