Getting vaccinated reduces your likelihood of getting Covid and of passing it on to other people.
Most crucially, it dramatically reduces your likelihood of becoming seriously ill and dying.
The latest data from our hospitals continues to bear this out in frank terms.
Of those in ICU wards with Covid, 72% are unvaccinated, 8% have had one dose and 20% have had two doses.
Unvaccinated people make up less than 12% of our adult population – yet account for 72% of people in ICU.
Adults who have not had two vaccine doses are more than 5 times as likely to be admitted to hospital, and around 10 times more likely to be admitted to ICU, compared with fully vaccinated adults.
That is a stark illustration of vaccine effectiveness.
In December last year, for every 1000 cases of COVID-19 in Northern Ireland, around 80 were admitted to hospital. Currently, the figure for hospitalisations is in the region of 20 per 1000 cases.
It was always anticipated that a small minority of vaccinated people would still get seriously ill with the virus.
No vaccine in history has ever been 100% effective for 100% of people. This underlines the fact that we must all remain vigilant against Covid and not rely just on the vaccine to protect us. Testing, self-isolation, social distancing, face covering, good ventilation and avoiding crowded indoor settings – these all play a vital part in keeping us safe.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DOH Press Office by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 27 January 2023
- Extensions to the terms of five interim authority members of the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 27 January 2023
- Emergency Care Waiting Time Statistics (October - December 2022) 26 January 2023
- Publication of “Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2022)” 24 January 2023