Health Minister Robin Swann has confirmed a public consultation will be held on policy proposals for a Statutory Duty of Candour.
The consultation will open on April 12 and run for a period of 16 weeks.
The Minister detailed the plans in a written statement to the Assembly, updating MLAs on the work being taken forward to implement the recommendations of the Public Inquiry into Hyponatraemia Related Deaths (IHRD).
In the written statement, the Minister said: “A Statutory Duty of Candour would create a legal responsibility for all healthcare organisations and individual staff to be honest when things go wrong.”
The written statement is published on the Department's website.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- ‘We must fix our appalling waiting lists – together’ 13 April 2021
- Consultation opens on Statutory Duty of Candour and Being Open Framework 12 April 2021
- Swann thanks vaccine teams 12 April 2021
- Are you eligible for a Covid-19 vaccine? Book your appointment today at the SSE Arena 12 April 2021