The Department of Health today updated MLAs on its ongoing work in response to the Inquiry into Hyponatraemia-related deaths.
The briefing was led by Permanent Secretary Richard Pengelly and Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Paddy Woods, Programme Director for this important area of work.
Mr Pengelly said: “I am pleased that the team led by Dr Woods to take this forward is now well established. Work in all nine planned workstreams is progressing, with membership drawn from a variety of stakeholders.
“Several of the workstreams have commissioned research which will be published over the next number of months to promote informed discussion on their areas of responsibility.
“The workstreams include services users and carers, non-executive Directors, people from the voluntary sector, Departmental staff and staff from Health and Social Care bodies. Engagement with a wide range of stakeholders will be an important element of the work. Their contribution is needed so that the responses to recommendations can be co-produced, implemented thoughtfully and sustained into the future effectively.”
Mr Pengelly added: "We need service users and carers, voluntary sector, health care staff, HSC Boards and management and professional bodies to work together to co-produce and implement improvements to help develop, redesign and deliver improvements to how we deliver health and social care. That involvement takes time and it is important that we implement recommendations properly to improve patient safety."
Today’s meeting with MLAs was the latest in a series of meetings with key stakeholders. Dr Woods will meet with Inquiry chair Mr Justice O’Hara later this week to update him on progress.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the Department of Health Press Office team on 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- 12 Month Extension of Term of Non-Executive Member of the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency 20 February 2019
- Drug misuse a growing challenge for health service and society 20 February 2019
- Reappointment of the President and a Council Member to the Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland 18 February 2019
- Extension of Appointment of Two Non-Executive Members of the NI Blood Transfusion Service 18 February 2019