The Department acknowledges the legal requirements placed on it by the Secretary of State and has been working closely with the Northern Ireland Office on the planned commissioning of abortion services in Northern Ireland.
Today’s legal instruction on commissioning and the ringfencing of funding will mean that HSC Trusts will have the necessary resources to ensure a full range of abortion services will be available in Northern Ireland, including putting in place the necessary staffing and training required.
Notes to editors:
- Additional finance is not being provided to NI for the commissioned abortion services, funding for which will be ringfenced within the NI block grant.
- Early Medical Abortion (EMA) up to 9 weeks and 6 days gestation is available across all five Health Trusts and up to 11 weeks and 6 days gestation in the Northern Trust for Northern Trust area residents.
- The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) provides a central access point for women living in NI who require advice, counselling or access to the Early Medical Abortion services provided by Trusts in Northern Ireland and can be contacted on 0345 730 4030.
- During the lead-in time for additional services to become operational in NI, women and girls can continue to access funded services in GB which will remain in place until all these services are available within NI. For pregnancies beyond 9 weeks and 6 days gestation (11 weeks and 6 days gestation and over for women who live in the Northern Trust area) women and girls can access these services by visiting the MSI Reproductive Choices website or contacting 0333 234 2184.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 27 January 2023
- Extensions to the terms of five interim authority members of the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority 27 January 2023
- Emergency Care Waiting Time Statistics (October - December 2022) 26 January 2023
- Publication of “Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2022)” 24 January 2023