The budgetary challenges facing health and social care were set out today in a Department of Health update to party health spokespersons.
The Department holds regular briefings with the party representatives. Today’s meeting followed the NI Secretary of State’s announcement last week of the NI health budget for 2023/24.
Senior DoH officials outlined the potential high impact savings options that may be required, given the significant shortfall between the budget and estimated funding requirements.
It was emphasised that no decisions have been taken at this point on high impact savings options and each will be assessed against the current legal framework for decision making by civil servants. Low and medium impact measures are being implemented.
The slides presentation given to the briefing can be viewed on the Department of Health website.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by e-mail email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023
- New pancreatic cancer partnership announced 30 November 2023
- Health Survey (NI): First Results 2022/23 29 November 2023
- New obesity consultations launched 24 November 2023