Permanent Secretary Richard Pengelly has confirmed important progress on making Cystic Fibrosis drugs available to NI patients.
Mr Pengelly said: “I would like to provide an important update on plans to provide eligible patients in Northern Ireland with access to the Cystic Fibrosis drugs Orkambi, Symkevi and Kalydeco.
“Constructive discussions have been held with manufacturer Vertex Pharmaceuticals and the company has made a formal offer on pricing which is equivalent to the agreement reached with NHS England.
“This offer has been accepted today by the Regional Pharmaceutical Procurement Service on behalf all the Health and Social Care Trusts and a formal agreement with Vertex Pharmaceuticals will be finalised and signed in the very near future.
“Arrangements are being put in place to ensure clinicians will be able to begin prescribing the drugs to the first eligible patients within the next few weeks. It is estimated that in excess of 270 patients will be eligible for the new drugs under the agreement.”
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the Department of Health Press Office on 028 9052 0575 or email email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Minister announces £11.7m care home support package 02 June 2020
- Minister Swann - Daily press conference speaking notes 2 June 2020 02 June 2020
- Minister sets out scale of contact tracing operation 01 June 2020
- Minister Swann comments on NISRA statistics 29 May 2020