The Department of Health (DoH) today published terms of reference for the regional review of neurology services.
The review will identify the optimal service configuration for neurology services for the next 10-15 years. A Review Team, led by Consultant Neurologist Dr John Craig, has been established to take the review forward.
DoH Permanent Secretary Richard Pengelly said: “I recognise that neurology services have been under significant pressure for some time, and that waiting lists have become unacceptably long. This review will drive improvements both through the identification of initiatives which can be taken forward quickly, as well as the identification of longer term strategic reforms.
“The Department is committed to ensuring that the voice of service users and carers is central to the review. To that end, we will be working closely with the Northern Ireland Neurological Charities Alliance to design and deliver a programme of engagement to achieve this.”
The review will identify how, in the context of changing demand, services can be remodelled to improve the care pathway for the neurology service. This will include consideration of innovative service improvements, scope for the development of new clinical roles and the potential to develop services through joint initiatives on a cross border basis.
Dr Craig who will lead the review added: “As a Consultant Neurologist I very much welcome this Review and the tremendous opportunity it brings to transform our services for patients, their families, and our staff. I am pleased to be leading the Review and look forward to working not just with colleagues from across the whole service, but I am especially keen to work with those who use our services and so to ensure their voices are heard and are central to the future of neurology services in Northern Ireland.”
The review will also consider how governance can be strengthened, building on learning from the recall of patients in the Belfast Trust and the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority’s Review of Governance of Outpatient Services.
An interim report will be completed by March 2019 with a final report, including an implementation and investment plan, to be completed by June 2019.
Notes to editors:
- The Department announced its intention to establish a regional review of neurology services on 31 July 2018.
- The Terms of Reference, including membership of the Review Team, can be found on the Department's website.
- For media queries please contact the DoH Press Office 028 9052 0575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Blog by Chief Nursing Officer following launch of Nursing Now NI Campaign 18 January 2019
- Department announces additional funding to help with winter pressures 18 January 2019
- New NI nursing campaign launched to tackle key health issues - #nursingnowni 17 January 2019
- Department publishes Report of the Review of Medical School Places in Northern Ireland 11 January 2019