The Department of Health has launched a consultation to introduce proposed amendments to fire safety enforcement powers in areas such as stairs and hallways in purpose built flats and apartment blocks.
The draft public consultation also aims to amend the Fire and Rescue Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006 to facilitate the delivery of elements of the Houses in Multiple Occupation Act (HMO Act).
The proposals will give the Fire and Rescue Service responsibility for the inspection and enforcement of fire safety in the common areas of houses, flats, apartments and high rise buildings such as stairs, passage ways, gardens and yards etc.
Additional amendments are also proposed including powers for fire safety inspection in relevant premises other than just the workplace and enabling non-uniformed fire and rescue staff or other suitably trained persons (i.e. council staff) to carry out inspections.
Given the serious risk that fire poses, the Department would encourage a broad response in relation to these proposals and invites comments by 3 June 2018.
The consultation document can be viewed here.
Notes to editors:
1. Hard copies of the consultation document can be requested by e-mailing email@example.com, or by writing to the following address:
Department of Health
Public Safety Unit
2. For further information on the consultation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
3. For media queries please contact the Department of Health Press Office on 028 9052 0575 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Office via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 31 December 2023 29 February 2024
- Proven success of General Practice Pharmacy paves the way for ambitious future plans 28 February 2024
- Appointment of Health and Social Care Trust Non-Executive Directors 27 February 2024
- A year of ‘damage limitation’ - Swann 27 February 2024