The Department of Health today announced that work is to commence on the review of neurological services covering all neurology specialities.
The review will entail a comprehensive review as part of the Department’s programme of service reviews announced in 2016 by the former Health Minister in Health and Wellbeing 2026 ‘Delivering Together’.
Permanent Secretary, Richard Pengelly said: “The review of neurology services aims to build on several initiatives that are currently being provided to help improve the pathways for people with neurological conditions and those referred with symptoms suggestive of a neurological condition.
“Work is already being progressed with providers, service users and charities’ umbrella organisations and includes:
- Investment in medical, nursing and other disciplines;
- Improving the knowledge and management of general neurological conditions in primary care through education and partnership working with general practitioners;
- Identifying how best to respond quickly to patients presenting at Emergency Departments, with neurological signs or symptoms, including first seizures;
- Addressing shortfalls in diagnostic services and
- Developing multi-disciplinary care pathways to improve follow-up care and community based reviews for people with long term neurological conditions.
“This comprehensive regional service review of neurology will build on the transformation work already underway with the aim of producing recommendations to further improve this vital service to deliver the best possible outcomes for patients. It will also derive relevant learning from the ongoing recall of neurology patients from the Belfast Trust.”
The review will formally get underway in September with the aim of producing an initial report by early 2019. The first steps will involve establishing the project, finalising the terms of reference and then moving forward on the basis of co-production with the neurology workforce, patient representatives, professional bodies and other key stakeholders.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the Department of Health Press Office team on 028 9052 0575 or email email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 874383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- Blog by Chief Nursing Officer following launch of Nursing Now NI Campaign 18 January 2019
- Department announces additional funding to help with winter pressures 18 January 2019
- New NI nursing campaign launched to tackle key health issues - #nursingnowni 17 January 2019
- Department publishes Report of the Review of Medical School Places in Northern Ireland 11 January 2019