The Department of Health (DoH) today published statistics collected from Health & Social Care (HSC) Trusts, Agencies and Legacy Health and Social Services (HSS) Boards on all clinical/social care negligence cases in the north of Ireland open during the year ending 31 March 2016.
The statistical bulletin presents information on clinical/social care negligence cases that were open at any stage during the year ending 31st March 2016.
The key findings presented in the statistics release are listed below.
Payments in 2015/16:
During the last two years, the amount paid on clinical/social care negligence cases decreased by £14.8 million (35.8%), from £41.4 million in 2014/15 to £26.6 million in 2015/16 (Table 1).
Payments to Date:
- During 2015/16, 3,613 clinical/social care negligence cases were open at any stage, 455 (14.4%) more than in 2011/12 (3,158) (Table 3).
- In 2015/16, 686 new cases were opened, 639 cases were closed, whilst 2,768 cases remained open and 206 cases had been settled at 31st March 2016 (Figure 3, Tables 4 - 8).
- The average clinical/social care negligence case, open in 2015/16, had been open for 2.6 years (Figure 5).
- Over half (55.7%, 2,012) of all clinical/social care negligence cases referred to the following four specialties; ‘Accident & Emergency’ (631), ‘Obstetrics’ (614), ‘General Surgery’ (390) and ‘Trauma and Orthopaedics’ (377) (Table 13).
- A total of £95.2 million has been paid to date on the 3,613 clinical/social care negligence cases which were open at any stage during 2015/16. Of which, £71.1 million (74.7%) has been awarded in damages and £24.1 million (25.3%) paid out in legal costs (defence and plaintiff) (Table 14).
- Over half (53.5%, £50.9m) of the amount paid out on clinical/social care negligence cases open at any stage during 2015/16 referred to the ‘Obstetrics’ speciality, of which, over four fifths (80.3%, £40.9m) had been paid on damages (Table 15).
The information release is published on the Departmental website.
Notes to editors:
- The information detailed in this publication is derived from the Departmental CN1 and CN1a statistical returns provided by & Social Care (HSC) Trusts, Agencies and Legacy Health and Social Services (HSS) Boards.
- All information has been validated with Health & Social Care Trusts, and incorporates all returns and amendments received up to 14th November 2016.
Further information on Clinical/Social Care Negligence statistics is available from:
- Media queries to DoH Information Office on 028 9052 0579, or out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- People of all ages should learn CPR so more lives can be saved 16 October 2019
- Extensions to Appointments of Non-Executive Chair and Two Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Guardian Ad Litem Agency 15 October 2019
- Regional Launch of Primary Care Multi-Disciplinary Team Programme 15 October 2019
- Publication of ‘Children’s Social Care Statistics for NI 2018/19’ 10 October 2019