Chief Nursing Officer Maria McIlgorm has called on staff across health and social care to get their winter vaccinations to protect them from flu and covid.
She was speaking after receiving her vaccination at a clinic in the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald, one of a number of such clinics set up by Trusts to administer vaccinations to HSC staff.
The CNO said :- “I would urge all our frontline staff to avail of this opportunity as vaccination remains our key protection against COVID-19 and flu.
“Flu activity levels have been extremely low globally the last two winters, mainly due to COVID-19 prevention measures. As a result, a lower level of population immunity against flu is expected this year. This coupled with COVID-19, which hasn’t gone away, could potentially result in a real health threat particularly for vulnerable members of our community.
“Vaccines have been proven to be safe and effective, if staff have questions they can speak to vaccinators or use the resources available on the PHA vaccine toolkit to address any questions they may have.
“COVID-19 and flu are a key factor in causing winter pressures on the health service. It impacts on those who fall ill, the health services that provide direct care, and on the wider health and social care system.
“Our staff have already played a heroic part in the battle that continues to be waged to protect our population and keep our severely stretched services operating. By protecting themselves through getting vaccinated they will be best placed to continue that essential work.”
Notes to editors:
- For further information please see the www.nidirect.gov.uk/wintervaccines
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Local pharmacies can help with Urinary Tract Infections 05 December 2023
- New era for pharmacist education 04 December 2023
- Publication of the quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 30 September 2023 30 November 2023
- New pancreatic cancer partnership announced 30 November 2023