NI’s Chief Scientific Adviser Professor Ian Young has commented on the Vaccination Status of Deaths and Hospitalisations Report issued by the Department of Health today.
Professor Young said the newly published statistics once again demonstrate the importance of getting as many people as possible vaccinated.
He continued: “These statistics very much underline the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccination. Getting your jab dramatically alters the odds in your favour, in terms of being protected against hospitalisation and death.
“I would again advise and encourage people who have not yet been vaccinated to do so without delay.”
In a new phase of the vaccination programme announced this week, over 130 local pharmacies across NI are now offering the Moderna vaccine to everyone aged 18 and over who is not yet vaccinated. For more details on participating pharmacies offering Moderna Covid vaccine appointments in your area, visit NI Direct or check out this interactive map:
Professor Young also cautioned against misinterpretation of the newly published statistics, in relation to hospitalisation and deaths of vaccinated patients over 50.
“We know that vaccination does not provide 100% protection of 100% of people. We also know that the risk of hospitalisation and death from COVID is much higher in older age groups. There will sadly continue to be some older people who will lose their lives to the virus, despite being doubly vaccinated. We can all help to reduce the risk of this happening by doing everything we can to stop COVID spreading.
“The vast majority of people over 50 in Northern Ireland are vaccinated. This needs to be borne in mind when assessing or comparing hospitalisation figures. The numbers of unvaccinated people dying or needing hospital care is significantly out of proportion to the numbers of unvaccinated people in the overall population.
“The benefits of vaccination are clear and unequivocal.”
Notes to editors:
1. For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: email@example.com
2. Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only, between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Reform of Adult Social Care Consultation Summary Report published 01 June 2023
- 'Dáithí’s Law’ to go live tomorrow 31 May 2023
- Queen’s University Honour conferred on Chief Pharmaceutical Officer 30 May 2023
- My Waiting Times NI 25 May 2023