The Department of Health today announced the appointment of Gerard Guckian as a non-executive member to the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) from 1 May 2018 for a maximum period of four years.
The non-executive member post carries a time commitment of 2 days per month and attracts an annual remuneration of £6,367.
The appointment was made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. A selection panel, which included an independent assessor as required under the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Gerard Guckian is a partner in a firm of solicitors in Derry/Londonderry, having qualified in 1985. As a member of the Children’s Order Panel of the Law Society of Northern Ireland since its inception, Mr Guckian has represented children in public law proceedings for over 20 years. He is a former Chairman of Altnagelvin Hospital Health and Social Services Trust (2004-2006) and former Chairman of the Western Health and Social Care Trust (2006-2016). Within those roles he chaired the Trusts’ Governance and Remuneration and Terms of Service Committees. Having served as a Non-Executive Director before those appointments, Mr Guckian has a lengthy experience of leadership in Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland. He served on the representatives group of the Northern Ireland Confederation of Health and Social Care for 11 years, chairing that organisation for two terms. He is a Trustee of Foyle Hospice.
- The Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) is the workforce regulator for the social work and social care workforce. It has a statutory responsibility to set and regulate standards for social work and social care practice and for social work education and training.
- NISCC is also a Sector Skills Council – a member of the UK Alliance Skills for Care and Development.
- The Board of the Council comprises a Non-Executive Chair and 12 Non-Executive Members.
- Appointments to NISCC are made with the approval of the Department of Health. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Guckian declared that he had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- Media enquiries: please contact the Department of Health Press Office on 90520074 or email: email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt.
- Extension to term of Office of a Non-Executive Member of the Patient and Client Council 17 July 2019
- Reappointment of two Non-Executive Directors to the Public Health Agency 09 July 2019
- Complaints and Compliments received by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland 2018-19 04 July 2019
- Transformation fund continues to support much-needed change 04 July 2019