The Department of Health has announced the appointment of a Non-Executive Finance Member and two Non-Executive Lay Members to the Patient and Client Council.
Mr Patrick Farry’s appointment as Finance Member will begin on 1 April 2019 and will run for a maximum of 4 years. The role of Finance Member carries a time commitment of 2 days per month and attracts an annual remuneration of £3,708.
Mr Paul Douglas and Mr Alan Hanna are appointed as Non-Executive Lay Members from 1 April 2019 for a maximum period of 4 years. Each Non-Executive Lay Member role attracts a remuneration of £3,708 and carries a time commitment of 2 days per month.
The PCC, which is established under Section 16(1) of the Health and Social Care (Reform) Act (Northern Ireland) 2009, is a regional body supported by five local offices operating within the same geographical areas covered by the five Health and Social Care Trusts and Local Commissioning Groups. The overarching objective of the PCC is to provide a powerful, independent voice for patients, clients, carers, and communities on health and social care issues.
The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland.
All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published.
Notes to editors:
1. Mr Patrick Farry graduated from Queen’s University Belfast with a degree in Business Administration. Following postgraduate studies, he qualified as a Chartered Certified Accountant in 1987 and has worked in Professional Practice ever since. Mr Farry specialises in taxation and general business advisory across a wide spectrum of business sectors. He is a Non-Executive Director of Keys Premium Finance Limited, a finance company operating throughout the UK and Ireland. From 1994 to 2017 he held the position of Honorary Treasurer of NIACRO, a voluntary organisation working to reduce crime and its impact on people and communities. From 2010 to 2016 Patrick was a member of the Audit and Risk Committee of the Commission for Victims and Survivors.
Mr Farry has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
2. Paul Douglas had15 years’ experience as a senior manager within the Police Service of Northern Ireland prior to his retirement in 2010. Has extensive experience in developing strategic partnerships and change management within various organisations. He currently serves as a Lay Commissioner with the Northern Ireland Judicial Appointments Commission, is a Non-Executive Director with the Probation Board for Northern Ireland and a Non-Executive Director within the Northern Ireland Environment Agency. Mr Douglas has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
3. Alan Hanna has held several senior management positions in the voluntary sector and is currently the NI Director of Home-Start UK. He has also served on a number of public boards as a Non-Executive Director including the HSC Business Services Organisation and the NI Fire and Rescue Service. Much of Alan’s work has been in the area of learning disability and he has long personal experience of supporting a close family member with autism and learning disability. Alan has an honours degree in Modern History and an MSc in Organisation and Management. He has undertaken a range of interim Executive appointments with voluntary organisations including Diabetes UK and Belfast Community Circus. Mr Hanna has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
4. Media enquiries to DoH Press Office on 028 90520579 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 028 90378110 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdept.
- Quarterly Northern Ireland outpatient, inpatient and day case, and diagnostic waiting times statistics - position on 31 December 2023 29 February 2024
- Work of Regional Trauma Network marked by Ministers 29 February 2024
- Proven success of General Practice Pharmacy paves the way for ambitious future plans 28 February 2024
- Appointment of Health and Social Care Trust Non-Executive Directors 27 February 2024