The Department of Health today announced the appointment of Mr Thomas Frawley as a non-executive member of the board of the Professional Standards Authority (PSA). The appointment commenced on 1 January 2017 and will be for a maximum period of four years.
The board of the PSA is made up of a Chair, six non-executive members (one of whom is appointed by Department of Health) and one executive member.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Frawley brings considerable experience as a non-executive director and has an exceptional understanding of health and social care in the north of Ireland. In 2001 at the invitation of the then First and deputy First Ministers, Mr Frawley chaired a panel of experts whose task was to review and make proposals for the reform and restructuring of Public Administration in NI. Before this he had chaired a strategic review of the Ambulance Service (NI). Mr Frawley started his career in administration in a range of health and social services districts in the north, before spending 15 years as Chief Executive of the Western Health and Social Services Board. In this role, Mr Frawley led the Board through a transformation of mental health and services for learning disabled people, the rationalisation of obstetric services, the redesign of cancer services and the realignment of acute services. More recently, Mr Frawley spent sixteen years as NI Ombudsman where he was responsible for independently investigating complaints about clinical judgment of doctors, dentists, including independent health service providers. Mr Frawley has confirmed that he has no conflicts of interest that would affect his ability to fulfil the role.
- The PSA oversees the work of the nine health and care professional regulators and in doing so promotes the health, safety and well-being of users of health and care services and the public. The PSA also sets quality standards for organisations holding voluntary registers for people in health and care occupations which are not subject to statutory regulation, and accredits the register held by those organisations which meet their standards.
- Members of the PSA receive annual remuneration of £7,881.
- Media queries to DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0505, or out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned. Follow us on twitter@healthdpt
- Statement by Chief Social Worker Sean Holland on threat issued against PBNI 15 September 2017
- Dental earnings and expenses estimates UK 2015/16, initial analysis 13 September 2017
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April – June 2017) 07 September 2017
- Publication of 'Mental Health & Learning Disability Inpatients (2016/17) 06 September 2017