The Department remains focussed on finding a way forward – in this context we are currently finalising a formal pay offer for 2019/20.
This will be the best offer possible within the budget available, but the reality is that our ability to address pay issues is inevitably constrained at a time of intense budgetary pressures for health and social care services. These budgetary pressures are clear for all to see, and we have been highlighting these for some considerable time.
Despite claims to the contrary, there is no separate or untapped source of funding that we can access – nor can money simply be found in the budget. As with any other item of expenditure, pay costs come out of the one health budget, which is currently overcommitted. Every pound spent on one priority area is a pound not available for another.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the Department of Health Press Office on 028 9052 0575 or email email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 05 August 2022
- Release of Northern Ireland inpatient, day case and outpatient hospital statistics for 2021/22 04 August 2022
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey, Northern Ireland: Weekly Report 29 July 2022
- New digital strategy will unlock opportunities for health service improvements 28 July 2022