About the Department
The Department of Health (DoH) is one of nine Northern Ireland Departments.
It is the Department's mission to improve the health and social well-being of the people of Northern Ireland. It endeavours to do so by:
- leading a major programme of cross-government action to improve the health and well-being of the population and reduce health inequalities.
- this includes interventions involving health promotion and education to encourage people to adopt activities, behaviours and attitudes which lead to better health and well-being.
- the aim is a population which is much more engaged in ensuring its own health and well-being
- ensuring the provision of appropriate health and social care services, both in clinical settings such as hospitals and GPs' surgeries, and in the community through nursing, social work and other professional services
The Department has three main business responsibilities:
- Health and Social Care (HSC), which includes policy and legislation for hospitals, family practitioner services and community health and personal social services
- Public Health, which covers policy, legislation and administrative action to promote and protect the health and well-being of the population
- Public Safety, which covers policy and legislation for fire and rescue services
The Department has produced a Framework Document to meet the statutory requirement placed upon it by the Health and Social Care (Reform) Act (2009). The Framework Document describes the roles and functions of the various health and social care bodies and the systems that govern their relationship with each other and the Department.
Within the Department, the key business groups are:
- the Resources and Performance Management Group
- the Healthcare Policy Group
- the Social Services Policy Group
- the Office of the Chief Medical Officer
There are five professional groups within the department, each led by a Chief Professional Officer:
- Chief Medical Officer Group
- Office of Social Services
- Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions (AHP) Directorate
- Dental Services
- Pharmaceutical Advice and Services
They provide advice to and discharge functions for the Department on medical, nursing, estates, dental, pharmaceutical and social work matters.
They also provide advice and services to the wider Northern Ireland Civil Service and the Prison Service in respect of public health, medical and dental services.
Gifts and Hospitality
The Department publishes a register of gifts and hospitality offered to DoH SCS staff. Records are also held for staff at all other grades.