The Career Framework outlines the core competencies for all those practitioners who are:
- employed as a Specialist Nurse, holding an NMC recordable Specialist Practice Qualification;
- employed as a District Nurse holding an NMC recordable Specialist Practice Qualification.
In addition, the Framework is enhanced with a number of specific core competencies in particular areas of specialist practice designed to support:
- practitioners in the role and those aspiring to Specialist Nursing roles;
- the introduction of new Specialist Nursing roles to facilitate service developments; and
- Approved Education Institutions (AEIs) to enhance the professional development of these practitioners.
The Framework will be reviewed three-yearly to ensure it remains aligned with other relevant professional resources and government policy.