The Department of Health today announced the reappointment of Ms Catherine Rice as a non-executive Professional Member to the Northern Ireland Practice and Education Council for Nursing and Midwifery (NIPEC) from 28 October 2017 for a maximum period of four years.
This appointment carries a time commitment of 20 days per year. Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Practice and Education Council for Nursing and Midwifery do not receive any remuneration, but are eligible to claim expenses at rates set by the Department for costs incurred on Council business.
The appointment was made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. A selection panel, which included an Independent Assessor, as required under the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates.
Notes to editors:
1. Ms Catherine Rice
- lives in Hillsborough
- has recently retired from her post as Assistant Head with the Clinical Education Centre for the Business Services Organisation and was formerly a Senior Manager at the Education Centre
- led a team of senior managers overseeing the service level agreements for Belfast, South Eastern and Southern Health and Social Care (HSC) Trusts. She led the CEC team working closely with all Trusts providing support and education for the newly recruited international nurses
- was Primary Care Manager, Child Protection Co-ordinator at Down Lisburn Trust, Community Psychiatric Nurse (Sister Grade) in North and West Belfast HSC Trust and a Staff Nurse at Purdysburn Hospital
- She has been a Registrant panel member for the Nursing Midwifery Council (NMC) fitness to practice panels and was appointed as Chair in May 2017. She is also part of a team of nurses and midwives from Northern Ireland providing training to Nurses in Croatia
2. The board of the NIPEC comprises of a Chair, Chief Executive and up to fourteen non-executive members drawn from a wide range of key interests. 60% of the Council members will be on the live nursing, midwifery and health visiting professional register and the remaining 40% will be Lay Members.
3. NIPEC values its relationship with nurses and midwives and with key stakeholders, and works in partnership with them to assist in achieving their objectives and aspirations. At all times, NIPEC encourages performance that is ethically sound and reflects the requirements of the regulatory body for nurses and midwives which is mandated in ‘The Code Standards’ for conduct performance and ethics for nurses and midwives.
NIPEC also undertakes commissioned and non-commissioned work on behalf of the Department and other statutory, voluntary and independent organisations.
4. The appointment was made with the approval of the Department.
5. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Ms Rice declared she had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
6. Media enquiries to DoH Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- NI Health and Social Care Workforce Census – March 2018 21 August 2018
- Northern Ireland Paramedics get formal recognition as Allied Health Professionals (AHP) 15 August 2018
- Statistics on Smoking Cessation Services in Northern Ireland: Four week follow up figures for 2017/18, and 52 week follow up figures for 2016/17 15 August 2018
- Department to simplify employment arrangements for junior doctors 14 August 2018