Over half a billion items of PPE have been provided by the Department of Health’s Business Services Organisation’s (BSO) Procurement and Logistics Service (PaLS) since March 2020.
Health Minister Robin Swann revealed the “amazing milestone” when he visited the BSO’s PPE Distribution Centre, to thank staff for their efforts over the last 16 months.
“As with every branch of the HSC family, staff here have done a fantastic job sourcing, procuring, storing and distributing PPE with a total value of over £160 million,” Minister Swann said.
“This equipment helps protect their colleagues working at the coalface tackling this pandemic. I am delighted to meet with some of those BSO PaLS staff today and extend my personal thanks for what they have done.
“Across surgeries, hospital wards, care homes and many other settings where care is provided this PPE has helped protect and give peace of mind to health workers and those they care for.
“It has been a herculean task that has included setting up supply chains with local businesses who have also risen to the challenge by repurposing their production lines to supply millions of items ranging from Type 11R masks, FFP3 Masks and Visors. To those businesses I also extend my gratitude.”
Welcoming the Minister Julie Erskine Chair of the BSO Board said:-“The spirit and efforts of all our staff across BSO in supporting front line health and social care services during this pandemic have been a source of immense pride for our organisation and that spirit is exemplified by those staff in our Procurement and Logistics Service. Today’s visit to our PPE Distribution Centre by our Minister is welcome recognition of this milestone in supply of over 500 million items of PPE”
Notes to editors:
- Caption: Health Minister Robin Swann pictured with Julie Erskine (Chair of BSO) during his visit to the BSO PPE distribution centre to meet and thank staff.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Publication of Quarterly Carers’ Statistics for Northern Ireland (April - June 2021) 24 September 2021
- Don’t miss out on final walk-in jab clinics 24 September 2021
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) Infection Survey Northern Ireland – 12 September to 18 September 2021 24 September 2021
- Workforce Appeal will help tackle hospital pressures – Swann 23 September 2021